WHAT IS A DRD HOLSTER MOLD?
Pretty fast, it became evident that to control the precision and features of our holsters, we’d need better control of the molds themselves. We asked the question, “Is that even possible? What would it take for us to control the entire process of holster making—from the molds all the way to the finished product?”
First, we tried polystyrene molds as documented in our Blog. Next, we tried making our own master molds. The molds we produced were beautiful, but had the same inherit problems of shrinkage and lack of control over added features and blocking. We hadn’t solved anything.
Was there a way to make a mold from a real gun without risking damage to the real gun? A way to hold onto the exact precision of a real gun? A way to engineer the molds accurately and include feature details as part of that mold? Could we find a repeatable, scientific process that would eliminate shrinkage and poor fit issues completely?
That question began an odyssey of discovery. Turns out, there was a positive answer to that question—not an easy answer, but an answer. The path is complex and requires unique skillsets from multiple and deep computer software capabilities to machinist acumen. Is it worth the trouble? We think so. Our DRDTM molds produce elegant, precise holsters. Simple design. Outstanding execution.TM
Using cutting edge software, real guns are imported into 3D CAD software as exact replicas of the original. Once imported into CAD, the replica is modified to accommodate draw, reholster, retention, sights, and detent operations. That engineered 3D CAD model of the real gun is then CNC’ed to match the dimensional precision of the original gun.
Everything required to create a precise holster mold is defined during the 3D CAD process:
- The retention area is designed to maintain rigid, adjustable, and even distribution of tension.
- The trigger guard area is precisely modified for each individual gun to provide an audible and tactile ‘click’ when fully seated in the holster.
- Blocking is added to deliver snag free draw and reholster operations for the protruding and recessed surfaces on the gun.
- The mounting blocks for belt clips are designed into the mold.
- Every need of the final holster is CNC’ed into the mold so that nothing must be balanced on, taped to, or added to the surface of the mold during the Kydex forming operation.
Give our holsters a try. You’ll like what you see.